Friday, September 16, 2016

IT'S ME

Yes, it's Me! Cooky Schock, one of the newest members of the Art Jewelry Elements Team.  I'm creative, happy and grateful. But in reality I create in total chaos; I actually thrive on chaos-it's my happy place! I'm very asymmetrical in all I do, even my appearance.


I come from a nursing background so I did live in a very structured, well-organized world for a long while. And I am very grateful to be part of this community of artists. I have always been a maker of stuff: kids' clothes, bears, quilts and even quilted bears wearing kids' clothes. But seventeen years ago all that changed when I discovered The Shepherdess, a wonderful beadstore in Old Town San Diego. I learned to bead, create with wire and then work with metal, which became my passion.


I magically became the owner of The Shepherdess, which gave me the opportunity to meet wonderful teachers and students, all lovers of what I love! Three years ago The Shepherdess and I decided to retire and so we did!





Through the years I have had the opportunity to teach across the country, including Juneau AK and the Dominican Republic for Parson's School of Design. I continue to teach but I'm moving in a direction that has surprised even me.


 I've rediscovered a craft I did in the '70s this time more refined with an updated style that makes it more of a fine art. Welcome to my world of micro macramé!


It's a far cry from the plant hangers and fuzzy bearded Santas I made back then. My work has recently been featured in the Spring 2016 issue of Belle Armoire Jewelry and in the new Fall issue also.





I'm sure that metal will always be a part of my art,  enhanced by the captivating colors and textures of the beads and fibers that I'm creating with now.


Actually, it's a good thing that my work, equipment, tools and supplies are becoming a bit more minimalistic because 2017 will find us (husband & two dogs) traveling in our new RV across the country, wherever the road leads us!


Website: www.cookyschock.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/cookycrumb
Instagram: www.instagram.com/cookycrumb   


7 comments :

  1. wow love your new direction! retirement is grand, isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in awe of your talent Cooky and excited to draw inspiration from having you on the team - welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the team! I'm super excited that you're going to share your experiences with the rest of us. I'm not sure I could live in an RV, but the idea of traveling like that sounds really cool. I look forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome fellow new member! I feel like I could have written part of your intro. I also come from a nursing background and made children's clothes and teddy bears! And I did macrame in the 70's. Would love to meet you in person one of these days. Bring your RV down to North Carolina to see me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous work! Looking forward to seeing more posts and inspirations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, love your work. I'm anxious to see more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pleased to meet you. Lovely Art Jewelry, great post.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.